The Murphys Cemetery District held a ceremony in Buena Vista Cemetery, 186 Cemetery Lane, Murphys, honoring Halbert, Bud, and Charlotte Tindell, who were the cemetery caretakers from the 1950s until they retired in June 2010. During those years they took care not only of Buena Vista Cemetery but also the St. Patrick’s Catholic Church Cemetery in Murphys.
At this event a new pergola in Buena Vista Cemetery was dedicated in honor of the Tindells. Sadly, Bud Tindell passed away in 2011 but his wife, Charlotte, was at the ceremony with her family. The new pergola, intended to provide a pleasant place for families visiting the cemetery to sit and for them to hold small burial services, was built on the slab that held the green barn that was built by Bud Tindell in 1959.
The Ebbetts Pass Veteran’s Memorial District also dedicated the thirty foot tall bronze flagpole that was donated by them to honor the servicemen and women buried in Buena Vista Cemetery who had served in all branches of the United States of America Armed Forces over the years. During this dedication, an American Flag was raised for the first time on the newly installed flagpole.
Buena Vista Cemetery is the final resting place for veterans of the Civil War, Spanish American War, Mexican War and other wars since then and it is appropriate that an American flag should fly over the final resting place of these veterans.
The Murphys Cemetery District would like to thank Boone Memorials for the donation of two granite dedication plaques and a granite engraved bench and the Ebbetts Pass Veteran’s District for their donation of the flagpole and American flag.