Published Friday, Jan. 31, 2003 in the Calaveras Enterprise
CALAVERAS COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
PRELIMINARY AGENDA, FEBRUARY 3, 2003
7:00 P.M.: CALL TO ORDER
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
C O N S E N T A G E N D A
1. Minutes of January 13th & 21st, 2003 Regular Meetings - Board action:
2. CORRESPONDENCE: January 17-23, 2003 - Board action:
3. RESOLUTION authorizing contract with Vestra Resources Inc. for parcel alignment work; Technology Services - Board action:
R E G U L A R A G E N D A
7:10 P.M.: GENERAL PUBLIC/ADMIN./AUDITOR CONTROLLER
4. PUBLIC COMMENTS: 5 minutes per person; 15 minutes per topic
5. Discussion and possible action re: RESOLUTION honoring Boy Scouts of America Scouting Week; Admin. - Board action:
6. Presentation of Fiscal Year 2001-2002 Audited Financial Statements; Auditor/Controller - Board action:
7:30 P.M.: PUBLIC WORKS/SOLID WASTE DIVISION
7. Discussion and possible action re: RESOLUTION modifying operating hours of the Red Hill Yard Waste Collection Site along with a BUDGET TRANSFER in the amount of $15,000.00 in conjunction therewith; Public Works/Solid Waste - Board action:
8. Discussion and possible action re: RESOLUTION establishing expanded wood/yard waste collection operations at the Wilseyville Transfer Station Site along with a BUDGET TRANSFER in the amount of $15,000.00 in conjunction therewith; Public Works/Solid Waste - Board action:
9. Discussion and possible action re: RESOLUTION modifying waste acceptance policies to prohibit commercial use of County Solid Waste Transfer Stations by building contractors; Public Works/Solid Waste - Board action:
7:45 P.M.: BOARD OF EQUALIZATION
10. Adjourn to a Board of Equalization to adopt calendar for 2003.
7:50 P.M.: ADMIN./BOARD MATTERS/CORRESPONDENCE
11. Discussion and possible action re: budget deficit; Admin. - Board action:
12. Review of correspondence, reports and various matters of concern; Board Members and staff
13. CLOSED SESSION, under Government Code Section 54957.6, personnel matter: Conference re: DSA labor negotiations; Human Resources Director - Board action:
Publish: January 31, 2003CE
PUBLIC HEARING NOTICE
January 30, 2003
NOTICE IS HERE BY GIVEN that the Calaveras County Planning Commission will conduct a public hearing on February 20, 2003, at 9:00 a. m. to consider possible approval of the following projects based upon a California Environmental Quality Act, Notice of Categorical Exemption. The public hearing will be held in the Calaveras County Board of Supervisors Chambers, Government Center, 891 Mt. Ranch Road, San Andreas, California.
Zoning Amendment 2003-08 for Agricultural Preserve Contracts for the Year 2003 and Rezoning from the Non-Renewal notices of 1993:
New Contracts - The following Agricultural Preserve Contract applications were approved on December 16, 2002 and require the application of AP (Agricultural Preserve) zoning:
Andrew & Milena Magnasco - Contract # 272 was approved by the Board of Supervisors on December 16, 2002. Assessors Parcel 050-012-010 totaling 63.62 acres is recommended for rezoning from U (Unclassified) to AP (Agriculture Preserve). The subject land is located at 10952 Milton Road approximately 3/10's of a mile west of the intersection with Jenny Lind Road. The subject land is located in Sections 21 and 28, Township 3 North Range 10 East, MDM
Michael & Michelle Nemee etal. - Contract # 273 was approved by the Board of Supervisors on December 16, 2002. Assessors Parcel 050-052-004 totaling 10.81 acres (to be combined with other lands currently zoned AP) is recommended for rezoning from U (Unclassified) to AP (Agriculture Preserve). The subject land is located at 8280 Warren Road approximately 1 miles north of the intersection with Highway 26. The subject land is located in Sections 12, Township 3 North Range 9 East, MDM
Dale & Delores Buller - Contract # 275 was approved by the Board of Supervisors on December 16, 2002. Assessors Parcels 014-010-039, 014-010-115, 014-016-021, 014-017-007, 014-017-011, 014-017-023 & 014-017-024 totaling 393.94 acres is recommended for rezoning from U (Unclassified), RR-10 (Rural Residential) and RC (Rural Commercial) to AP (Agriculture Preserve). The subject land is located at Railroad Flat. The subject land is located in Sections 26, 27 & 35, Township 6 North Range 13 East, MDM
Dale & Delores Buller - Contract # 276 was approved by the Board of Supervisors on December 16, 2002. Assessors Parcels 014-009-008 & 014-010-084 totaling 153.41 acres is recommended for rezoning from RR (Rural Residential) to AP (Agriculture Preserve). The subject land is located at 2446 Ridge Road 3/10's of a mile south of Independence road, 8/10's of a mile southwest of Highway 26 in the Glencoe area. The subject land is located in Sections 28 & 29, Township 6 North Range 13 East, MDM
Expired Contracts - A Notice of Non-Renewal was filed in 1993 and the 9-year expiration date has passed for the following Agricultural Preserve Contracts. Properties once removed from the Agriculture Preserve program are required to be rezoned to the A1 (General Agriculture) zone or to a zoning district consistent with the General Plan Land Use Designation.
Gordon and Debora Grant - APN 014-003-029 (90.3 acres) is proposed to be rezoned from AP (Agriculture Preserve) to A1 (General Agriculture). Contract # 95 expired on January 1, 2003. The subject land is located at the intersection of Highway 26 and Ponderosa Way (13720 Highway 26) in the Glencoe area. The subject land is located in Sections 35 and 36 Township 6 North Range 12 East, MDM
Michael and Wendy Hseih - APN 050-016-084 (50.03 acres) is proposed to be rezoned from AP (Agriculture Preserve) to A1 (General Agriculture). Contract # 219 expired on January 1, 2003. The subject land is located at 9442 Warren Road, approximately three/ tenths (3/10) of a mile north of Highway 26 in the Wallace area The subject land is located in Section 13 Township 3 North Range 9 East, MDM
Pursuant to Section 15070 of the State CEQA Guidelines and County CEQA guidelines, Notice of Categorical Exemptions, Sec.15307 and Sec. 15317 will be prepared for the projects. All concerned citizens, organizations, and agencies are invited to attend the public hearing or to submit written comments relating to the Environmental Determination and above-mentioned projects. Any written comments may be submitted during the public hearing or to the Calaveras County Planning Department prior to the hearing. The staff report and all project files are available for public review at the Calaveras County Planning Department, Government Center, 891 Mt. Ranch Road, San Andreas, California 95249, during normal business hours from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Publish: January 31, 2003CE
COUNTY OF CALAVERAS, STATE OF CALIFORNIA
NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
Sealed proposals will be received at the office of the Department of Public Works, County of Calaveras, Government Center, San Andreas, California 95249, until 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 13, 2003 for the Installation of Lights at the Murphys Parking Lots in accordance with these specifications. The proposals will then be publicly opened and read.
The work consists of installing lights at the following parking lot locations in Murphys:
1. Old School Parking Lot on Jones Street
2. Masonic Hall Parking Lot including Veterans Memorial District Pool Parking Lot at the corner of Church Street and Surrey Lane
The work shall be performed in accordance with bid documents which are available from the office of the Department of Public Works, Government Center, San Andreas, CA 95249, Telephone (209) 754-6402. The bid documents containing the proposal forms cost $10.00.
Bidders are required to familiarize themselves with the site(s) of the proposed project(s) prior to submitting a bid.
Bids are required for the entire work and neither partial bids nor contingent bids will be considered. Bidders are required to submit a bidder's bond in the amount of ten percent (10%) of the total amount of the bid. Bond forms are included in the bid documents.
Liquidated damages in the sum of two hundred fifty and 00/100 ($250.00) dollars per day are provided for in the bid documents.
The Contractor shall possess either a Class A license or a Class C-10 license.
The bidder's attention is directed to the section entitled "Required Listing of Subcontractors" in Section 3 of the special provisions regarding the requirement that proposed subcontractors be listed in the bidder's proposal. All subcontractors are to be listed in the bid proposal for items of work or portions thereof to be subcontracted in excess of one-half of one percent of the total bid or $10,000.00, whichever is greater.
In the case where a bidder claims an inadvertent error in listing subcontractors, a notice of the claim must be submitted to the Director of Public Works, County of Calaveras, in writing within 2 working days after the time of the bid opening and send copies of the notice to the subcontractors involved.
Minimum wage rates for this project are determined by the Secretary of Labor. If there is a difference between the minimum wage rates predetermined by the Secretary of Labor and the prevailing wage rates determined by the State for similar classifications of labor, the Contractor and his subcontractors shall pay not less than the higher wage rate.
Pursuant to Section 1773 of the Labor Code, the General prevailing rate of wages in the county in which the work is to be done has been determined by the Director of the Department of Industrial Relations. These wages are set forth in the General Prevailing Wage Rates available from the California Department of Industrial Relations Internet web site at http://www.dir.ca.gov
The successful bidder will be required to furnish a Performance Bond and a Payment Bond, each in the full amount of the bid price.
No pre-bid meeting is scheduled for this project.
The County of Calaveras reserves the right to reject any or all bid proposals and to waive any informalities or irregularities in any bid or in the bidding.
SIGNED: Paul Stein
Chair, Board of Supervisors, County of Calaveras, State of California
Publish: January 31, February 7, 2003CE
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING REGARDING THE 2003
STATE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT PROGRAM
The Calaveras County Board of Supervisors will conduct a public hearing on February 10, 2003 at 10:45 A.M. or as soon as the matter may be heard in the Board of Supervisors Chambers located at Government Center, 891 Mountain Ranch Road, San Andreas, CA 95249.
The purposes of the hearing are: (1) to accept public comment on a proposed application to the State of California for a 2003 grant under the State Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG) General Allocation for $500,000; and (2) to amend the County's CDBG Home Repair Program Guidelines.
The purpose of the State Community Development Block Grant Program is to meet the primary national objectives as stated in the program's federal regulations. These primary objectives are: to further the development of communities by providing decent housing, a suitable living environment, and expanding economic opportunities, principally for persons of low and moderate income. Eligible activities fall into four major categories of housing, public facilities, economic development, and community facilities, or public services meeting an urgent need.
Calaveras County has selected to apply for approximately $500,000 for a housing rehabilitation program for its 2003 CDBG application that includes a 10% set aside. The housing rehabilitation program will provide below-market interest rate loans to property owners whose units are occupied by low and very low income families and are within the designated target area(s) within the County and for emergency grants for mobile home units. The funds will be utilized to upgrade housing units with a primary emphasis on eliminating health and safety code related deficiencies. Additionally the County will be asking for funds ($46,250) to assist in the rehabilitation of Valley Springs Youth Center.
The purpose of the public hearing is to give citizens an opportunity to make their comments known. If you are unable to attend the public hearing, you may direct written comments to: Tom Mitchell, Administrative Office, 891 Mountain Ranch Road, San Andreas, CA 95249 or you may telephone (209) 754-6303. In addition, information may be obtained from the Public Information Binder located at the above address between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., weekdays. If you have any questions regarding the Public Hearing, or need special physical accommodations, please call the County Administrative Office.
Calaveras County promotes fair housing and makes CDBG programs available to low and moderate income families regardless of age, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, martial status, sex, sexual preference, mental or physical handicap.
Publish: January 31, 2003CE
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
NOTICE IS HEARBY GIVEN that the County of Calaveras Board of Supervisors will conduct a public hearing on February 10, 2003, 10:45 a.m., at 891 Mountain Ranch Road, San Andreas, in order to solicit comments regarding an amendment of the CDBG grant #00-STBG-1494. The County is considering amending this CDBG program to allow use of CDBG Program Income to fund the extension of the of the Rail Road Flat water system on Simpson Road by the Calaveras Utility District. This will enable households on Simpson Road to have access to a healthy and quality water supply.
All interested persons are encouraged to attend the public hearing for information purposes or to ask questions or express their viewpoint. The public is also invited to inspect the public information file on the program at the Administrative Office, 891 Mountain Ranch Rd., San Andreas, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on weekdays.
If you are unable to attend the public hearing, you should direct your written comments to:
891 Mountain Ranch Road
San Andreas, CA 95249
The County of Calaveras promotes fair housing and makes CDBG programs available to low and moderate income families regardless of age, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual preference or disability.
Publish: January 31, 2003CE
County legals published Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2003 in the Calaveras Enterprise
SUMMARY OF THE MINUTES OF A REGULAR MEETING
OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
COUNTY OF CALAVERAS, STATE OF CALIFORNIA
HELD ON JANUARY 21, 2003
PRESENT: Paul Stein, Chair; Thomas Tryon, Vice-Chair; Lucy Thein, Merita Callaway and Victoria Erickson, Supervisors; Spencer Batchelder, County Counsel; Thomas Mitchell, County Administrative Officer; and Carol Gates, Board Clerk
C O N S E N T A G E N D A
1. Minutes of January 6, 2003 Regular Meeting - Board action: approved, as written, 5-0
2. CORRESPONDENCE: January 3-9, 2003 - Board action: approved, as processed, 5-0
3. MINUTE ORDER authorizing payment of late claim, payable to Terri Beaudreau/CalWORKs, in the amount of $62.85, re: Chamber of Commerce, EDC, PPC, and HRC Meetings; CalWORKs - Board action: approved 5-0
4. MINUTE ORDER approving budget adjustments for Copperopolis Branch Library as follows:
a) Accept a donation, in the amount of $1,135.00, from Friends of the
Library - Board action: approved 5-0
b) BUDGET TRANSFER in the amount of $2635 - $1,500.00 from
Object No. 5187/Library Computer Hardware and $1135 from Ob-
ject No. 4707/Donations/FOL to Object No. 5392/Rent - Board
action: approved 5-0
c) BUDGET TRANSFER in the amount of $1,500.00 from Bldg.Dept.
Object No. 4721/Designated Fund to Object No. 5393/Rents & Leases-
Special Purpose - Board action: approved 5-0
5. RESOLUTION authorizing the Board Chair to sign the Application for Open Space Subventions, Williamson Act, for FY 2002/03; Assessor - Board action: approved 5-0
6. RESOLUTION awarding the bid for 2002/2003 herbicide purchases; Ag. Dept. - Board action: approved 5-0
7. RESOLUTION approving the final map for Vallecito Vineyards, Tract 00-53; Surveyor/Public Works - Board action: approved 5-0
R E G U L A R A G E N D A
8. PUBLIC COMMENTS: a) Diane Gray, Chamber of Commerce, presented the Board with a Bronze Plaque in recognition of the County's 2002 exhibit at the California State Fair; submitted a form authorizing the 2003 exhibit - this will be agendized by Admin.; b) Paul Stevens announced that he is working on the second edition of The Free Press; c) Brian Lenahan, Angels Camp, spoke of appealing Administration's decision not to allow PEG Access Commission meetings to be aired live - requested that the Board reverse this decision
9. MINUTE ORDER authorizing Board Chair to sign a letter to the State Fish & Game Commission requesting that Calaveras County be removed from the proposed J-18 Pacific-Railroad Flat Junior Either Sex Deer Hunt; County Fish & Game Commission - Board action: authorized a letter be drafted, for Chair's signature, supporting the Fish & Game's recommendation; approved 4-1;
10. MINUTE ORDER authorizing the approval of a contract for Legal Advertising/Public Notices with the Calaveras Enterprise for a two year period beginning January 22, 2003 through December 31, 2004; Admin. - Board action: approved 5-0
10a. ADDENDUM - Discussion and possible action re: RESOLUTION urging the California Legislature to reject the Governor's proposed shift of local Vehicle License Fee (VLF) revenues and to honor the 1998 commitment to restore the VLF; Admin. - Board action: approved 5-0
11. Review of correspondence, reports and various matters of concern; Board Members and staff - a) Supervisor Victoria Erickson spoke of a Resource Conservation meeting she attended last week; tomorrow will be meeting with SPI; office hours in Copperopolis on Thursday and office hours at the Jenny Lind Fire Station on Friday; melodrama practice in Valley Springs throughout the week; b) Supervisor Lucy Thein will be at the LaHacienda for an Adult Tutoring meeting; this evening will attend a Teen Challenge meeting in Valley Springs; melodrama practice for the Valley Springs Play which opens on January 31st; spoke of a constituent and Roark Weber working on a landscaping project (triangle between the Hospital and Dept. of Forestry) - the Master Gardeners will be doing the planting; c) Supervisor Tom Tryon attended RCRC meetings last week - will report on items discussed next week; this evening will attend a County School Education Board meeting - there will be a discussion regarding the Branch Library in Angels Camp; d) Supervisor Merita Callaway will attend a Visitors Bureau meeting; a Hardwood Advisory Committee meeting; announced that this week's Fish & Game meeting has been cancelled; Thursday a Treasury Oversight meeting; spoke of Chair's Coffee; announced that she will not be in attendance at the February 10th Board of Supervisors meeting; e) Chair Paul Stein will be attending CSAC functions Wednesday through Friday; will attend a NACo Meeting next week; initiated a discussion re: live broadcasting of PEG Access meetings - CAO Mitchell responded - he will poll commission members at their next meeting - do they prefer to broadcast live or would they rather have their meetings recorded.; f) County Administrative Office Mitchell referenced his attendance at a CSAC function last week; announced that, starting next week, there will be an item on Board agendas regarding the State Budget deficit.
12. CLOSED SESSION, under Government Code Section 54957.6, personnel matter: Conference re: DSA labor negotiations; Human Resources Director - Board action: none
13. ADDENDUM - CLOSED SESSION, conference with legal counsel, anticipated litigation; potential initiation of litigation pursuant to subsection © of Section 54956.9; one case; County Counsel - Board action: continued for 1 week, to the meeting of January 27, 2003 at 1:45 P.M.
14. ADDENDUM - CLOSED SESSION, conference with legal counsel, existing litigation; discussion and possible action regarding Community Action Agencies vs. State of California (California Department of Community Services) pursuant to subsection (a) of Section 54956.9; County Counsel - Board action: approved dismissal based upon the State and Federal Government correcting the situation by legislation.
/s/ Karen Varni County Clerk and Ex-Officio Clerk to the Board of Supervisors of the
County of Calaveras, State of Calif.
PUBLISH: January 28, 2003CE
Notice is hereby given pursuant to Calaveras County Code (Chapter 17.88.040) that the following public hearings will be considered by the Calaveras County Board of Supervisors.
2002-61 ZONING AMENDMENT for EVERETT VAN DYKEN. The applicant is requesting a Zoning Amendment from U (Unclassified) to RA (Residential Agriculture) for 10.75 acres. The property is located at 10222 Gregory Road, off of Milton Road in the Valley Springs area. (APN 50-016-059 is a portion of the Northeast of Section 19, T3N, R10E, MDM).
2002-107 ZONING AMENDMENT and TENTATIVE PARCEL MAP for JAMES E. and MARY K. MARTIN. The applicants are requesting a Zoning Amendment from U (Unclassified) to RA (Residential Agriculture) for 41.1 acres. Concurrently they request approval to divide to site into four (4) parcels of 5.6 , 6.5 , 6.2 and 7.0 acres respectively and a 15.7 acre remainder . The property is located on both sides of State Highway 26 about one and one-quarter miles north of the intersection of State Highways 12 and 26 in Toyon. (APN's 40-001-016 & 018, are a portion of the Northeast of Section 4, T4N, R11E, MDM).
The public hearing for this project will be conducted at 10:30A.M. or as soon thereafter as possible on February 10, 2003, in the Board of Supervisors Chambers, Courts and Legal Building, Room L102, Government Center, 891 Mountain Ranch Road, San Andreas, California. Copies of the project's negative declaration are on file in the Planning Department and are available for public review between the hours of 8:00 a. m. and 4:00 p. m., Monday through Friday, with the exception of County holidays. Copies of the project file, staff report and/or negative declaration can be purchased at the Planning Department for the cost of making the copies. The general public, organizations and agencies are invited to forward written comments pertaining to this project, to the Board of Supervisors, Government Center, 891 Mt. Ranch Road, San Andreas, CA 95249. Said comments must be received prior to 4:00 p. m. (Friday prior to mtg. date) for consideration at the aforementioned public hearing. Persons in attendance will have the opportunity to make verbal comments pertinent to this project. All persons offering testimony will do so under oath.
Pursuant to Government Code 65009, if anyone challenges the above listed issues in a court of law, the challenge may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raise at the public hearing described in this notice, or in written correspondence delivered to the Board of Supervisors, at or prior to, the public hearing.
DATE OF HEARING: February 10, 2003
TIME OF HEARING: 10:30 A.M.
PLACE OF HEARING: Board Chambers
L102, Government Center
San Andreas, CA
/s/ Karen Varni County Clerk and Ex-Officio Clerk to the Board of Supervisors, County
of Calaveras, State of California
Publish: January 28, 2003CE