Calaveras High School in San Andreas entered "secure status" temporarily on Dec. 13 after several people reported to police that there were possible threats being made on social media. 

A “secure status” lockdown was initiated Dec. 13 at Calaveras High School in San Andreas due to a "possible threat" posted on social media and was lifted shortly thereafter.

Now, authorities are saying several people viewed the threatening post in the days prior but failed to notify police.

During the Dec. 13 lockdown, the Calaveras County Sheriff's Office posted initial information regarding the incident, stating, "At approximately 11:20 AM Calaveras High School received a social media posting from yesterday indicating a possible threat. Out of an abundance of caution the school went into lockdown while deputies initiated an investigation and searched the school grounds. All students and staff are safe at this time."

By 12:05 p.m., the secure status order had been lifted.

According to Calaveras Unified School District Superintendent Mark Campbell, a parent communication regarding the incident was drafted in conjunction with law enforcement and provided the same information that was shared by the sheriff’s office on social media.

The following day, the sheriff’s office released additional details regarding multiple reports their office had received on Dec. 13 regarding the perceived threats, which were determined to have been posted more than two days prior to being reported.

“The reporting party advised they observed a posting on social media regarding a threat at the school. As deputies responded to the school, several other parents and concerned caregivers called regarding similar information. One caller reported receiving notification of an imminent or active threat,” sheriff’s office spokesperson Lt. Greg Stark stated in a news release.

An investigation took place during which deputies “systematically” checked the school for weapons. None were located, and the lockdown was subsequently lifted.

An investigation is ongoing.

“Deputies and investigators are actively conducting follow-up efforts to ensure all aspects of this incident are addressed,” Stark stated. “This is what we know so far. 1. School officials acted quickly and appropriately to ensure the safety of the students and staff. 2. School staff and deputies worked well together to coordinate efforts. 3. The threats have been determined to have been posted more than two days before law enforcement or school notification. Matters of threats to schools are taken very seriously. The investigation will take as long as necessary to complete.”

The sheriff’s office thanked those who reported the possible threats “immediately after discovering them” but emphasized that several people had observed the post without informing law enforcement.

“PLEASE, if you see something, say something,” Stark said. “Posting open-ended speculation or misinformation on social media, as opposed to informing authorities, does not help the efforts to investigate and address any and all potential risks to the health and safety of our students and staff. Waiting to see if the threat is real is no longer an option.”

This article was updated on Dec. 14 to include additional information.


Dakota graduated from Bret Harte in 2013 and went to Davidson College, NC where she earned a bachelor's degree in Arab studies. After spending time studying in the Middle East and Europe, she is happy to be home, writing about the community she loves.

Comment Policy

Calaveras Enterprise does not actively monitor comments. However, staff does read through to assess reader interest. When abusive or foul language is used or directed toward other commenters, those comments will be deleted. If a commenter continues to use such language, that person will be blocked from commenting. We wish to foster a community of communication and a sharing of ideas, and we truly value readers' input.