When I was a little kid, I read a Donald Duck comic book and was fascinated when I saw Uncle Scrooge McDuck had a coin with his likeness on it. I thought, “I’d like to have a coin like that so…
The first president I voted for was Jimmy Carter. After the Nixon years, I thought we needed a new direction. When Carter was president, we were mired in the Iran hostage crisis; inflation had…
We know too well the cost of American health care keeps rising as far as the eye can see. In 1995, health care accounted for 13.4% of GDP; in 2018 it consumed 17.7%. It is projected to rise ev…
Recent Guest Opinions
- Legislation impacts veterans’ services
- Newspapers protect public’s First Amendment rights
- Community newspapers are subject to ‘get what you pay for’ economy
- Calaveras Democrats’ fundraiser in Vallecito sells out
- Big discovery led to preservation of Giant Sequoia grove in 1850s
- Don’t sacrifice the watershed
- Speak out now on the General Plan
- County needs access to remove hazardous trees
- Program hopes to help seniors
- We need to watch as science makes news
Recent Letters to the Editor
- A letter to the board of supervisors at their Jan. 21 meeting
- Gun-related violence is a symptom of a more complex problem that gun control alone cannot fix
- I encourage everyone to attend the Ovations concerts
- Alan Leavitt’s Jan. 8 letter needs scrutiny
- Article prompted me to dig further about gun violence in our state.
- New Year’s resolutions: reduce social media, reduce weight and embrace a plant-based diet!
- The first step in fixing the Copper Town Square is obvious to most: redesign the parking situation
- Santa was always that unidentifiable, intangible, American cultural asset of spiritual good will and peaceful happiness for everyone.
- Talk about Christmas spirit!
- “A man (or woman) cannot ride two horses at the same time.”
Letters Policy: The Calaveras Enterprise encourages letters to the editor from our readers about public issues. The newspaper reserves the right to edit all letters. Please limit your letters to 350 words. Shorter letters will be given preference. Letters that the newspaper deems libelous or making an offensive personal attack will not be published. All letters must be signed and include the writer’s address and daytime telephone number for verification purposes. There are four ways to submit letters: • Mail: P.O. Box 1197, San Andreas, CA 95249 • Fax: (209) 754-4396 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org